Facing a DUI charge?
Even though a first time DUI charge is a misdemeanor, that does not mean it is not a serious criminal charge. Because a DUI charge impacts your ability to drive, a DUI conviction can be more limiting to your freedom and your future than you might originally expect.
You need an experienced DUI lawyer to help you fight for your future. April D. Porter is experienced in DUI Defense. She will provide you with the guidance you need to fight a DUI charge in criminal court.
Even a first DUI conviction will create difficulty for you and your future.
- It will create a criminal conviction that will show up on background checks
- You may face jail time
- You may face a fine
- Under 2014 law, you could be required to use an ignition interlock device
- You may lose your job – especially if it requires you to drive
- You may have difficulty finding future employment
- You may have to purchase special driving insurance
- You may not be able to rent a vehicle
- You will lose the opportunity to qualify for a number of college scholarships
- You may not be able to visit foreign countries, including Canada
Fighting DUI Charges
South Carolina toughened DUI laws in 2014, making it more difficult to have first time charges reduced to a lesser charge such as reckless driving. However, there are still opportunities to fight the charges and protect your driving privileges. Time is an important element in providing you with the best possible outcome in your case. Contact us today to schedule an initial meeting with April D. Porter. She will discuss your case and legal options and she will be ready to fight for your rights in criminal court.